Ten students, ten weeks, 100 posts – thank you!

by Andrew Maynard on March 25, 2012

It’s hard to believe, but the ten weeks of Mind The Science Gap posts are over for this semester!  The ten students did an incredible job, and demonstrated an enviable degree of skill in translating complex science to a broad audience – as well as learning a lot on the way.  Over the past ten weeks we have had nearly 50,000 pageviews and 1,600 comments – not bad for a student public health blog!

I would encourage you to go back and browse the past ten weeks of posts – they are easily worth your time and effort to read, as are the comments on each of them.  If you don’t know where to start, just point your browser to http://mtsg.org/?random – you will be directed to a random post on the site.

And I would especially encourage you to read about what a number of the students thought about and learned from the experience – you can pull up the reflections posts here.

I also wanted to give a huge thank you to our mentors, and everyone else who took the time to comment on posts and to spread the word.  Your help and dedication were invaluable, and highly appreciated!

Mind The Science Gap will be back later in the year with a new batch of students – please subscribe to our mailing list (to the right of this page) so that you don’t miss any thing.

And again, thank you!

(Updated 4/4/12)

Patricia March 25, 2012 at 11:53 am

Thanks to you and all your students for sharing this wonderful experience. And as a mentor, I learned a lot from them.

Be sure I will copy your idea for my high school students, and hoping some day all this science sharing becomes really public.

Patricia

Angela March 25, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Thanks for all those interesting posts! Can only affirm Patricia’s comment: I did learn a lot : )

Hilary Sutcliffe March 26, 2012 at 4:48 am

Well done everyone, and a great concept whoever had the idea.

When you graduate, particularly if you go into academia, I do hope you will keep up your commitment to communicate your work. It is tough to keep going as I know very well, but worth it, I hope, for you, and certainly for society if we get academics who can communicate with the rest of us really well! Look forward to your angst blogs. Which reminds me I have been ducking writing my next blog myself because it is too hard, so I will get to it!

Ginny Kendall March 26, 2012 at 9:51 am

I stumbled across your request for mentors while I was looking for people doing nano research. It was a privilege to be asked my opinion on things I have little knowledge of. My business is laboratory equipment sales, but I have a strong interest in science in general, since my customers are working in fields ranging from food science to nuclear engineering Presenting technical information to a lay audience is a valuable undertaking, and I enjoyed the experience. I wish the best to all the students who blogged weekly. Good job!

Susan Sanders March 26, 2012 at 10:27 am

Your blog posts often were the highlight of my day because of your enthusiasm for writing in a clear, captivating manner. Thank you for your excellent work, for helping me learn, and for carrying this class idea to fruition.

Charles March 26, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Already 10 weeks? Hope some of the bloggers keep blogging.

Hardest part about starting a blog is the feeling you’re talking into a void. But it’s a great way to learn and looks like these students had the benefit of some helpful comments.

Tim Beauchamp March 27, 2012 at 5:50 am

Thanks to you and your students. I feel that I neglected my goal of commenting and feedback. But I thoroughly enjoyed the quality of the blogs and breadth of the topics. I am looking forward to possibly seeing some of the authors continue to blog in the future. We need effective communicators, and your project and class is a great way to foster that.

PF Anderson March 30, 2012 at 10:17 am

I have been raving about this blog all term, and I haven’t stopped. It is now one of my soapboxes, a prime example of nurturing the next generation of science communicators from WITHIN the professions! Bravo, bravo, bravissimo!

Jessica May 2, 2012 at 2:24 pm

This is fantastic. Thanks for the info (and the concept of this post grid!).